Baking Solo

Mama let me learn to cook with Jiffy blueberry muffin mix.   I learned to measure, stir, set the oven, and check for doneness.   When I was ready, she let me bake homemade muffins from her 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook (now a favorite keepsake).   It was the book she bought for her college freshman home economics class.   I spent hours sitting and looking at the illustrations in that book, dreaming of the delicious dishes.   I also loved the hints and tips for the 1950s homemaker.   From muffins, I was ready to move on to cakes, tapioca pudding, and cookies.   Later, we would build on those skills.

Today, E. had her first solo baking session with applesauce spice muffins from scratch.  She was proud, I was proud, and I think Mama would be proud.   E. says she wants to be a pastry chef...or a nun.


I didn't think to take pictures until she began scooping the batter into the pans.  I think she was most proud of cracking the egg.











Ready to bake!


After the cooking comes the cleaning.












Baby brother was jumping up and down while waiting for a muffin.




Future pastry chef

Comments

  1. It's great that she is learning to clean as well as cook.

    Hello and welcome to the Catholic Blog directory. I host a weekly gathering of Catholic bloggers and invite you to join us. This week's host post is at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2011/02/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her! She looks so proud and baby brothers life will never be the same! Now that my oldest daughter bakes, her brothers and sisters are always asking her to make something for them. I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Please stop by and return the favor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

First & From Without

Master Bedroom Challenge: {pretty, happy, funny, real}

Our Schooling Journey--The Dry Version