What's In My New Crock-Pot Today








It's finally time to retire my cute cherry-design slow cooker.   We broke in this new one today with the following delicious and economical recipe from Southern Living's Homestyle Cooking cookbook. 

It's a favorite recipe and we always pair it with the Creamy Coleslaw that follows.   I never liked coleslaw until I tried this recipe.   We like the sandwiches with hamburger pickle slices.   Sometimes, instead of the meats in the recipe, I use a pork roast or cut chops or steaks into chunks.   It freezes well, also!

Barbecue for Sandwiches

1 ½ lbs.  beef stew meat
1 ½ lbs. lean cubed pork
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup white vinegar
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart electric slow cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH setting 7 hours.  Shred meat before serving.


Creamy Coleslaw

1 small cabbage, finely shredded
1 small carrot, shredded
½ cup diced green bell pepper
½ cup diced celery
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. pepper

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well, and set aside.  Combine mayonnaise and remaining 7 ingredients; stir well.  Pour dressing over vegetables; toss gently.

Comments

  1. Sounds Yummy!!! Love a good crock pot recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri, I just love my crock pot. I have had the same crock pot for 30 years (I bought it before we were married) and it is still working fine. It is wearing better than I am! Right at this moment it is sitting on the kitchen bench cooking up a delicious tomato soup for our next meal. We are heading towards the colder weather and I am really looking forward to hunting out all the crock pot casserole and soup recipes. Your recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! My crockpot cracked about a month ago and I had to throw it out...it was a weddding gift. It lasted almost 11 yrs...so I guess that's ok. As soon as I get a new one, I want to try your recipe. My husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

First & From Without

Master Bedroom Challenge: {pretty, happy, funny, real}

Our Schooling Journey--The Dry Version